Traveling to Indonesia:
Your trip to the Mentawai Islands:
As you arrive in Padang W. Sumatra, the Ocean Dreams crew will be there at the Padang airport to take you and your gear directly to the boat. Ocean Dreams is docked in the Batang Arau River, about 40 minutes from the PDG airport. You will settle in and stow your gear as we wait for the rest of the crew to arrive. If you prefer to arrive the day before your trip begins, we can recommend several different places to stay in Padang from budget to high end. All of which are close to where Ocean Dreams is docked.
After all the guests have arrived, we check reports and make the best call for the following morning in the Mentawai. The crossing is about 130 km across the channel to the Mentawai Islands. We will arrive early the following morning for the first surf session of your trip. You and your crew will spend the next 10 to 12 days hunting the best surf in the region. Our final day we normally depart about 4 pm for Padang depending on weather, and will normally arrive about 5 or 6 am. About 8 am we will transport everyone from the boat to your accommodations or direct to the airport for your flights.
Traveling to Padang, W. Sumatra
Your air carrier will route you through several different international transfer points: usually Japan, Hong Kong, or China. You will want to get to Jakarta CGK. Upon arrival in Jakarta, you will be issued your free 30-day visa, collect your bags at baggage claim, clear customs and then transfer to the domestic terminal. Make sure you allow at least two hours for the transfer as the process can be slow and the terminals are bus rides away. There are several airlines that can get you to Padang from Jakarta: Citilink, Lion Air, Garuda, and Air Asia. We recommend Garuda or Citilink.
Fly to Jakarta, then Padang, DPS to CGK to PDG.
From Australia / Europe
Your air carrier may take you through Kuala Lumpur (KUL). Air Asia flies to Padang (PDG) from Kuala Lumpur, however, Air Asia flies out of a smaller airport about a 20-minute cab ride from the international airport.
Bag Fees: No matter who you are flying with and from where, please always check online for the most current surfboard baggage policies. Also, remember to keep your baggage tickets as airport staff asks to see these in order for you to exit the terminal.
What International Airlines Fly to Jakarta
- EVA Airways
- Cathay Pacific Airlines
- United Emirates
- China Airlines
- Garuda Airlines
- Virgin Blue
Domestic Air Travel Inside Indonesia:
Comprehensive Travel Insurance with Trip Cost Protection is highly recommended.
Travel insurance with inclusion for Medivac is mandatory; details of Policy- Insurance Company and contact details to be forward to Ocean Dreams Surf Charters 30 days before departure.
A current passport with 6 months validity from date of entry to Indonesia required.
Absolutely no drugs of any kind tolerated. Foreigners caught with drugs may face capital punishment or life imprisonment.
A Personal Trip Sheet, located here is to be forwarded to Ocean Dreams Surf Charters 30 days before departure.
US / Australian Consulate Information
- Jakarta Phone: +62 21 3435 9000
Singapore Phone: +65 64 769 100
- Australian ConsulateJakarta Phone: +62 21 25505 55555
Singapore Phone: +65 68 364 100
- Transfers to and from Padang airport
- Surf guide
- Use of tender for fishing and exploratory trips ashore
- Use of fishing and snorkeling equipment
- Three gourmet meals per day
- Snacks and fruit
- Non-alcoholic drinks, such as bottled water, sodas, juice, and coffee
- Use of onboard entertainment systems including DVD video and stereo
- Use of all Ocean Dreams onboard equipment and amenities.
What’s not Included:
- Airline Tickets
- Mentawai Tax
- Travel Insurance: (compulsory for all guests, including medivac coverage and coverage for lost charter days). We recommend Online Travel Insurance.
- Alcoholic Drinks: Passengers are welcome to stock up on beer at local prices prior to departure, Indonesian customs allows the importation of only a single bottle of alcohol per person. If requested a wine list can be forwarded for passengers wishing to purchase specific wines and spirits before departure. A minimum of 90 days notice is required for specific orders.
Gear to bring:
- Warm/tropical wax, solarez ding repair
- Boardshorts, t-shirts, rash guard, booties, short john wetsuit, and helmet
- Sunscreen, hat, and sunglasses
- Long sleeve t-shirt and pants for mosquito protection when on land
- Cash, ATM card, and Credit Card
- Camera with spare memory cards and battery chargers
- iPod, external hard drive or USB stick for photos
- Passport, and a photocopy of your passport, minimum 6 months validity
- Emergency travel insurance policy information
- Small first aid kit for reef cuts, headaches, stomach issues, etc…
- Slippers, thongs, jandals, flip-flops – depending on where you’re from
- Tips for the crew, Tips typically start at US$50 and up. If you’ve had a really good time and the crew’s been outstanding, let them know! Please give all tips to the captain for dispersal to the crew.
Please always check online for the most current surfboard baggage policies. Also, remember to keep your baggage tickets as airport staff asks to see these in order for you to exit the terminal.